Wednesday, January 7, 2015

MANifesto

"I feel reborn. A hunger that had always been burning--nay, aching--inside of me has finally been fed. That is, I have discovered my true self, the Man inside the Boy." - The Knowledge

In my youth, I grew fascinated with the aesthetics of both common and collectible objects, focusing my attention less so on the item's use, but on its appearance and surface value. Take, for example, a card from the popular Japanese trading card game, Yu-Gi-Oh!:

i have the shiny version of this card

While the real-world gameplay directly effects the image printed on the card and therefore holds some artistic merit, it was never as important to me as the tiny painting of a character or scene in the middle and the physicality of holding a piece of cheap (in the financial sense), accessible art.

Click to visit a blog devoted to those tiny paintings.

I now understand how I perceived 'things' as a Young Boy and I'm still interested in these aspects in books, records, cds, currency, and coins. This serves as inspiration for me experimenting with different images as I stumble my way through art trying to find something I like.

Here's an example of a style I've been interested in lately in which one affects popular images using computers, often in coding, to create a 'glitch' effect:

this is from tumblr

And a similar image I created (without seeing the example above, mind you):



The Internet offers an enormous platform for media and has influenced the way I interact with and understand the world. At this point, however, I'm ready to make fun of it. 3D modeling and 'art-making' technologies, though advanced and incredible tools, now are ripe for ribbing in the art world. The Tumblr blog post-internet is a good source of such material.

Enjoy this graphic score (info herehere, and here) that I made in the same vein:

(Click here to watch the video.)

In summation, I'm still figuring things out, but enjoying each step of the process.

"It is important to realize that images are everywhere. The ability of Sight is a Man's most important sense as it allows Him to quickly and accurately perceive His environment even when He's not using his others." - The Knowledge

2 comments:

  1. You are a Man of many Talents, and I'm excited to see what You produce, my Friend. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the image editing here is beautiful, and it's hard to believe it was done experimentally, or at least without a vision from the start of what the end result might look like. On an unrelated note, 1 v 1 me at yugioh sometime.

    ReplyDelete