Monday, February 16, 2015

An Exciting New Musical Arrangement ! ! !



I like John Cage's beliefs that "theatre takes place all the time, wherever one is" and that "the highest purpose is to have no purpose at all." With these mantras in mind, I created a piece of music composed of entirely found sound with the hope that the listener would listen to the sounds as they would a piece of music. As you listen to the dramatic changes in timbre, pitch, and rhythm, think about how the way that these sounds naturally happen is similar to humanmade music. Although I altered some of them, many still have their own interesting developments as sound which I used to my advantage.

There is no theme or subject in this piece, other than the feelings and thoughts it creates in a listener's mind. I want them to focus on the sounds as they are, devoid of higher meaning, think for themselves, feel what they instinctively feel (if anything), and hate that that's all it is.

2 comments:

  1. Your piece has a very big and powerful sound to it. It's kind of horrifying at points, but I think that's a good thing. I liked Amanda's comment in class that it was like she was dying and being sent to the underworld (which ties in with your demonic image of Willa). I appreciate the lack of a message in your piece, it makes the sound that much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned in class, this "song" made me feel like I died in some horrific fashion and then it followed my descent into the underworld. That's what I instinctively feel. That's a good word for this in general actually: instinctive. It sort of reduces your thoughts to instinct.

    ReplyDelete