Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UPDATE: Artboy is Artsad

Artboy here. Last week, I put my sculpture up in an identical opening on the other side of the art building. This spot isn't perfect because people aren't inconvenienced much by its presence. It lost my intention of making people frustrated about not getting what they want, but it has yielded some funny results:

  • people are just generally confused by it
  • it looks like construction, which is funny because it seems really important
  • passersby are curious and at least look at it
  • my friends peed on it (which is annoying in a peeing-on-things-is-stupid way, but it's like this landmark now where people say "Let's go pee on that wood wall!")
  • it has caused Facebook confusion among friends

  • it snowed today and workers can't move the snow (which is funny because honestly who gives a shit it's just snow it melts and nobody's gonna walk through there anyway I mean, Christ, I blocked the path for a reason)

So I guess Artboy isn't that Artsad anymore, just Artlaughing. Most people have reacted to the wall thinking it's pretty funny and I think I like that better than what I was trying to do with it. I tried to get all serious and make a sculpture that "makes people think" and "feel something real," but I really like how stupid it looks in that little pathway. And it's become this weird campus buzz which is cool. Everyone should do it.

Make your own in your hometown for under $60! Here's how:
  1. Buy five 2-by-4's
  2. Buy four 4'-by-8' pieces of particle board
  3. Cut four of the 2-by-4's into sixteen 9-1/4" blocks
  4. Screw the blocks into two pieces of the particle board to act as braces when you attach the other two pieces
  5. Don't use your last 2-by-4
  6. Struggle to get these four large pieces of wood up the stairs and outside
  7. Oh and it has to be 14 degrees outside
  8. Put the two 2-by-4'd particle boards next to each other and lay the other two on top
  9. Screw into the other side to attach everything together
  10. Get two friends to help you lift it up
  11. Pound it into the opening because it's a little bit of a tight fit
And you've done it! You've made a wall. Nice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment